MANILA, Philippines — Thirdy Ravena's first finals stint in the UAAP seniors division was a difficult experience, as the Ateneo Blue Eagles star struggled mightily against the De La Salle University Green Archers in their championship series.
Ravena was coming off a solid campaign in the UAAP Season 79 elimination round, but against La Salle in the finals, he was rendered ineffective.
In the Blue Eagles' two losses, he converted only two of his 19 attempts from the field for a brutal 11-percent clip, while he averaged just 5.5 points per game. He did have 5.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 steals, but was also forced into 3.5 turnovers per contest.
"To be honest, parang shocked ako sa game eh," Ravena said after Game 2. "I was kind of pressured. I admit na kasalanan ko naman na na-pressure ako."
The former juniors MVP said the gravity of the game affected him. It was, in his own words, "the biggest platform I ever played in." Ravena had the only other time he was on the big stage was when he played in the juniors finals in Season 76, where they lost to National University.
"Napunta 'yun sa utak ko, tapos na-affect 'yung game," he said. "It's not an excuse not to play. Sayang lang, 'di masyadong naka-deliver."
(It went in my head and it affected my game. I regret not being able to deliver.)
Ravena, who also committed a crucial turnover in Ateneo's 67-65 loss in Game 1, refused to make any excuses and said he wants to use this series as part of his learning experience.
"Nagkulang talaga ako kanina," he said. "I really tried. This is a good lesson. Hopefully next year, it won't happen again."
(My efforts fell short.)
It wasn't entirely a lost season for Ravena, however. In only his second season with the Blue Eagles, he earned a Mythical Five selection, despite not really dominating in any statistical category. He averaged 9.9 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game in the elimination ound.
"To be honest, I didn't really expect this," he said. "I don't even know how I got to be in the Mythical Five, by scoring less than 10 points a game. This is a bonus, and I'm proud of this."
"If it weren't for my teammates, I don't think I'll be able to get this award," he added.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
0 comments :
Post a Comment