MANILA, Philippines – The Adamson University Soaring Falcons exceeded their coach's expectations by qualifying to the Final 4 of the UAAP Season 79 men's basketball tournament, but Franz Pumaren has far bigger goals in mind for the next UAAP season.
Adamson entered the Season 79 semis as the fourth seed, and gave the top-seeded De La Salle University Green Archers a scare before falling, 64-69.
Pumaren, though disappointed with an untimely technical foul called on him, nevertheless said it has been a "wonderful run" for the Falcons.
As proud as he is, however, there is no time for the Falcons to dwell on their achievement in Season 79. They will be surely one of the favorites in the tournament next year, as they return with a nearly intact core that will very likely be bolstered by Filipino-American recruits already serving residency.
Players like Jerrick Ahanmisi and Robbie Manalang can only get better, and Pumaren expects that their experience in Season 79 will make them a stronger team.
"Whatever we accomplished this year, whatever disappointment that we experienced, we'll use that as a springboard for next year," he said. "Season 80 for us starts tomorrow. This game (vs. La Salle will help us become better individuals and a better team."
"I'll tell you honestly," Pumaren added. "Frankly, I'm excited for next year. Season 80, and Season 81, I'm excited."
Pumaren said that Season 79 was simply a "gestation period" for the Soaring Falcons, a chance for them to warm up and get to know each other. After seeing how his team competed in the preseason and in the early games of the UAAP, he knew that they had a chance at making the Final 4 this year, but come Season 80, a Final 4 appearance will not be enough.
"I don't sugarcoat anything," he said. "I'm here to give Adamson a championship before my contract expires."
He expects his team to make a significant leap in Season 80 with the entry of some talented recruits. "The team next year will be different," Pumaren promised.
"I'll give you an example – I'm happy with Team A, and I'm happy with what we achieved, but when they played Team B, talo sila sa Team B," he revealed. "That's the simple analogy. I'm so excited for next year."
Given the talent in Adamson's Team B, Pumaren made it known that the players who are currently in his Team A are not guaranteed to retain their spots for next season. "It's a never-ending process," he said. "It's a tryout for them."
His players are ready to take up Pumaren's challenge.
"I think next season, we're gonna be even hungrier," said Ahanmisi, who will be the likely winner of Rookie of the Year honors. "Now that we know the feeling of a playoff, knowing that we were so close to get to the Finals, we're gonna be hungrier next season."
"I'm happy with what happened, but at the end of the day, we still lost and that's not acceptable," said Manalang.
Next year, however, armed with the experience they got from Season 79 and with several months to prepare, Manalang and the Falcons believe they can go much further.
"Now, since we've been in the limelight, we know what to expect," Manalang said. "Coach Franz is gonna make sure that we're ready."
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
0 comments :
Post a Comment