PASAY CITY, Philippines — Praise poured in for Far Eastern University's hard-working forward Raymar Jose after he anchored the Tamaraws' 62-61 victory over the Ateneo Blue Eagles in the UAAP Season 79 Final Four on Saturday at the Mall of Asia Arena.
Jose tallied 20 points and 23 rebounds, and single-handedly out-rebounded the entire Ateneo team, 11-8, in the pivotal fourth quarter. His relentless activity around the basket sparked FEU's comeback from a 10-point deficit and brought to mind the aggressive play of a former Tamaraw.
"I was seeing Mac Belo in him in this game," former FEU point guard Mike Tolomia told ABS-CBN News after the game. "When I played with Mac last year, (Jose) looked like Mac out there a while ago."
Belo was named Finals MVP of their series against University of Santo Tomas. He would go on to become a cornerstone of the Gilas Cadets program and be selected by Blackwater Elite in the recent PBA Rookie Draft.
Numbers indicate that Jose is a better rebounder than Belo who never averaged more than 7.6 rebounds per game in his UAAP career. This season, Jose pulled down 11 rebounds per contest — third in the league behind La Salle's Ben Mbala and Adamson's Papi Sarr.
But Jose's refusal to give up in the face of a fourth-quarter deficit and his ability to lead his teammates were also reminiscent of Belo.
"It was a monster game," said Tolomia. "You can see his heart in the way he plays. He really doesn't want to lose. I think his teammates followed his lead. He sort of carried them with his actions."
Former FEU forward Russel Escoto, who shared the Tamaraws frontcourt with Jose for a couple of seasons, agreed with Tolomia.
"That's been [Jose's] job," Escoto said. "I'm not surprised he's able to do the things he's doing. He really wants to win and I'm very proud of him. "
Tolomia and Escoto expect Jose to duplicate his feat in Wednesday's do-or-die game at the Araneta Coliseum. "I can see him getting more than rebounds easy," Tolomia said.
Jose credited his performance to sheer heart and a burning desire to extend his UAAP career.
"My heart, it doesn't want to go on a vacation yet. Whatever happens, I want us to keep fighting," he said.
"I try to focus on whatever I can do inside the paint and that's what I'll do. This is my last year so I need to double my effort, even triple it. I'm giving my all because I want to go back to the finals."
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
0 comments :
Post a Comment