Home » » Why Helterbrand decided to delay retirement

Why Helterbrand decided to delay retirement

Ginebra's Jayjay Helterbrand celebrates during Game 5 of the 2016 PBA Governors' Cup Finals. Richard Esguerra, ABS-CBN Sports

MANILA, Philippines – Jayjay Helterbrand will play at least one more year for the Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings, thanks in large part to the encouragement from his children, who want to continue seeing their father compete for the PBA's most popular team.

Helterbrand could have chosen to rid off to the sunset after helping the Gin Kings win the 2016 PBA Governors Cup title. He played a huge role in the best-of-seven series against Meralco, especially in Game 4 when he sparked the come-from-behind win that allowed the Gin Kings to claim a 2-2 tie.

He was urged by head coach Tim Cone and longtime teammate Mark Caguioa to keep playing, however, and the 40-year-old Helterbrand granted their wishes as he decided to play for one more year.

"The big factor was, I talked to my kids this morning," Helterbrand told ABS-CBN News Monday during Ginebra's championship celebration at the San Miguel Corp. head office. 

"They told me, 'Dad, we want you to play another year.' That was really the big deciding factor," he explained.

Helterbrand, the league's MVP in 2009, is also determined to help Ginebra with its title defense.

"I want to try to defend the title with these guys," he said. "I think we have a good team, and I think we can do something great here."

"I'm blessed enough that the management and the coaching staff allowed me to stay," he added.

Helterbrand won't commit to playing past the next season, however. "Nothing is ever definite, but we're just taking it one year at a time," he said.

"I am getting up there in age," he noted. "It's not easy on the body. I have a lot of mileage on my knees, but Coach Tim (Cone) is really good at keeping the guys prepared and resting the guys who need rest."

The one thing that Helterbrand is sure of is that he does not want to get the Kobe Bryant treatment in what will likely be his final season in the PBA.

"More like Tim Duncan," he said. "Just quietly exit."

(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.)

Source : news[dot]abs-cbn[dot]com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.