Home » » Ginebra's Helterbrand to postpone his retirement

Ginebra's Helterbrand to postpone his retirement

It looks like Jayjay Helterbrand will be playing for one more year for Ginebra. Photo courtesy of the PBA Media Bureau

Barangay Ginebra now has something to celebrate aside from their PBA Governors' Cup title win.

Jayjay Helterbrand, who has been planning to hang his jersey after this PBA season, is reportedly postponing his retirement to play one more year with Ginebra.

Helterbrand is the other half of the Gin Kings' "Fast and the Furious" tandem, with the other being Mark Caguioa.

"He is ready to play," added PBA's winningest team coach. "I think he is gonna help in the buildup."

Helterbrand earlier hinted plans to call it quits after recently celebrating his 40th birthday.

But his performance in the recent Governors' Cup series showed he still has what it takes to bring energy to the team.

He was the hero of Game 4, where Ginebra fought back from a 16-point deficit with him firing triple after triple.

Following their title victory over Meralco, Caguioa urged Helterbrand to extend his career with the league's most beloved team.

"You better not retire, man," said a teary-eyed Caguioa.

"That's why I was crying. I was crying because we won the championship, I was crying because it might be the last time that we're going to step in the court."

Cone, for his part, said Helterbrand still has more left in his tank.

"Jayjay was saying, 'Thanks, coach, I learned so much from you.' In my mind, it started to sound like a retirement speech," he said after their win.

"And I said, 'Jay, we got a lot more to win,'" he added.

Helterbrand will hold discussions with the team management in the coming days.

"They still need to talk, I think his contract will expire in the next couple of days. But the intention on both sides is the same, so I expect it to be done," he said.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.

Source : news[dot]abs-cbn[dot]com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.